Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What the hell was I thinking?!?!?!?

I'm going to Atlanta next month to visit a girlfriend I haven't seen in a while. We are both somewhat broke and need to find something to do that's fun and cheap. It's Atlanta, this should be a fairly easy thing to accomplish. ATL girlfriend decides that the "fun, cheap" attraction is to run a 5K. Keeping in mind I've NEVER run anything in my life. In a moment of complete insanity, I agree...with the provision that's there's mimosas after the run. :)

So because my ATL girlfriend convinced me to sign up for that 5K in September when I go see her AND I've been working out for a year AND I no longer smoke, I've decided to give running a try. So...I go online and look for a good beginner's program to start running/learn to run. I find a pretty good one called Couch potato to 5K in 8 weeks. I think "Perfect! No problem, I can do this". WRONG!!!!

OH MY GOD, was I wrong. So days 1, 2 and 3 are
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. I do this at 3.7 mph on the treadmill with ease. NO problem!
Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Ok...this first two or three iterations weren't so bad. By the sixth one, I was hitting my pass out zone on the heartrate monitor within 35 seconds of jogging. Which for the record was ONLY 4.5 MPH!!!!

In addition, because I'm in a complete fog at 5 AM, I forgot that the first workout was only 20 min and set the treadmill for 30 thereby completing a 5 min warm up and 25 min of walk/jog. Yeah, right! I got 5 min of warm up, 17 min of walk/jog and the last 8 were strictly walking.

I suck. And I thought this was going to be breeze becasue I can do 45 min of strenuous cardo on the elliptical trainer no problem. Oh boy, was I ever wrong! The true test is if I go back tomorrow morning for more torture. Updates to follow! LOL

No comments: