Thursday, September 20, 2007

What Does Business Casual Mean?

For those of you who know me, you know I work for a conservative law firm type of consulting company. Three piece suits, rich old white guys running the place, everyone here has a certain look. I got the evil eye for going into my office on a Friday in jeans to pick up some paperwork. Nevermind I was OFF that day and not working, but anywhoo. I'm working at a commercial client site whose philosophy on business casual is shorts!!! Granted we won't get that comfy at the client site, but there is no need to wear a tie, and god forbid one of our team walk in wearing a suit. We'd think they were sick.

So this week we get a new group of guys some out of NY, a couple out of DC and we tell them Client X is VERY BUSINESS CASUAL. Fast forward to the teams landing onsite this week. You could totally tell at lunch who has been onsite for a while and who hasn't. The suits (new team) were at one end and the biz casual (my team) were at the other end of the lunch table. It's quite amusing to me, but underscores a very complex problem for those of us in a business environment.

WTH does business casual really mean? Suit and no tie, khakis and a polo, slacks and a button down sans jacket for men???? Pantyhose or no pantyhose for women, how short can the skirt be, do khakis work for us as well as for the men??? The sights at my current client site are scary...the run the gamut from $1000 suits to raggedy cargo shorts and ripped t shirts.

So where do you fall on the busienss casual spectrum. I'm a dress pants and shirt girl with a kicking pair of shoes. Shoes cover a multitude of evils if you wear them correctly. :)

2 comments:

Terri: said...

Don't ask me -- I wear a friggin' uniform everyday! Well, for at least 9 more months. Woot!

Unknown said...

Every man need to have at least one tailored suit. Experience is an easier way of shopping for bespoke suit and shirt at Euro Tailors!