Monday, December 17, 2007

Construction site fun!!!

So after complaining about traveling in my last blog, I thought I'd show you some of the fun I get to have in my job. The JFK airport is building a new terminal the first designed and built since 9/11. Which is a big deal for the Port Authority of NY/NJ. Anyway, construction is getting complete and will be done in time to open in the fall of 2008 and I got to get a tour. The really cool part was seeing all the stuff that goes on "under the wing" while the passengers are herded to their destinations. I also got a bird's eye view of takeoffs and landings which was COOL!!!!! Here's the pic of us in one of the ground operations towers at JFK.



For those of you who don't know Terminal 5 used to be the TWA terminal at JFK and since they are defunct now no one was using the old terminal. Partially because the original terminal building is a historic site now and cannot be changed. It was really cool to see b/c the terminal is very new agey for when it was built and somewhat of a historic building for airlines. I know I'm geeking out about this, but since I'm currently doing work for an airline I get to see all the underbelly of how an airline really runs.

Anyway see pics of the old TWA building (built by Eero Saarinen) who also built a bunch of other stuff including Dulles, (my absolute favorite airport NOT!!!) and read some historical stuff about the building if you so desire. BTW...they can't remove the TWA sign as its part of the historically significant building.





Anyway, that concludes my foray into TWA terminal land. I hope you enjoyed the ride. Next time you want to take a trip into the wonderfully weird world of my brain, I hope you think of Strangeland air. Thanks for flying! Have a nice day!

No comments: